My John (age 5 1/2) is a deep thinker. He has been an information processor, an excellent question asker, and a detail absorber for as long as I can remember. I love to hear the thoughts he comes up with and am impressed with the conclusions (very logical) that he comes to on his own.
This morning he was being philosophical over breakfast. He says to me "in the song that says 'my God is so big, so strong, and so mighty'...well, I don't think that's true...because I've seen pictures in books and He's usually pretty skinny." Here is where I pause and try not to laugh, because he's absolutely right, if slightly off the mark. I explain to him how the pictures in books are what Jesus might have looked like and he responds "but Jesus IS God." You got me again, buddy. So I explain how Jesus is the part of God who was a person, but God also can be lots of places at once and that's what they mean by he is BIG.
That satisfies him and he goes on to ask different questions...about when Jesus' comes back to Earth and "what happens to the people who are still alive...do they get to go to Heaven too or do they have to stay on Earth." And before I answer, I think to myself: wow, he's going to be a great thinker one day - because he already is.
1 comment:
That kid is going to be a theologian!
Post a Comment